After reading the article Teacher Caught on Tape Bullying Student. Is a Camera a Kid's Only Advocate? I was appalled a teacher would berate a student in such a manner. Based upon the video the student took of the teacher, one could tell this was not the first time this has happened to this student. This was not just a teacher “having a bad day”. Even if the teacher was having a bad, there is no excuse for behavior like this. Teachers, like any adult in a school, need to be professional at all times. If the teacher were having a bad day, the best thing for the teacher to do would be to inform his/her students. Usually when this occurs, students will take it easy on you. In some situations, classroom management can be an issue. Sometimes teachers have students who are somewhat uncontrollable, but again the way the teacher from the article responded is inexcusable. There is always a professional manner of handling a situation.
What I do not understand the most is why the teacher from the article was put on paid leave. Too often, teachers commit obvious atrocities and are still getting paid. In a situation like this, where it was quite obvious the teacher was wrong, there is no way the teacher should be paid. He should have been fired immediately. He was cursing and threatening the student. Most importantly, he was not doing his job, teaching. Districts need to find better ways of getting rid of teachers and not placing them on paid leave, especially if the crime is so evident.
I think the big problem is exactly what you asked, why are teachers getting paid leave when something like this happens? I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but it needs to change.
ReplyDeleteChris- I completely agree with you. It is difficult but often times a recoarding is the only way to defend students. Paid leave is hard to justify, if a teacher is clearly in the wrong. I do not understand why, in this situation the teacher was still being paid.
ReplyDeleteGreat Thoughts.