Over the past couple weeks, East High School’s attendance has dramatically increased. It is not clear whether the increase in attendance is due to East’s involvement in “The Get Schooled” contest or because the school has finally started to drop some of the truant students. One of the reasons East’s attendances percentages were so low was because of the sophomore and junior classes. In general, the seniors and the freshman had decent attendance, but the sophomores and juniors had very poor attendance. In my own classes, I have not really noticed any real increase in attendance. I have noticed my classes are getting smaller because of students being dropped off of my roster. Nevertheless, East’s attendance percentages across the board have increased dramatically.
This issue with attendance has caused me to think what I would do about attendance if I were principal at East High School. Just recently, East was awarded a “Safe School” grant for $140,000 annually. The money for the grant has to be spent based upon the results of a survey teachers, students, and parents took last spring. If I had access to the money, I would put locks, cameras, and alarms on every door except the front door. Having this security would enable a closed campus. The only students allowed to leave the building for lunch would be seniors and a few selected juniors (based upon grades and attendance). There would be a campus monitor at the front door at all times. Their job would be to make sure no one is leaving or entering without proper permission. I would also form a partnership with stores and business in our community such as the Oasis. I would allow these business and stores to sell food during lunch as an alternative to the cafeteria food. Keeping the campus closed would significantly help increase attendance at East.
No comments:
Post a Comment